Re: Aptitude wants to remove OpenOffice.org

On Sat, Jun 09, 2007 at 11:57:24AM +0000, Manon Metten wrote:

> Second: What to do if no debian package exists at all? Eg: suppose Adobe
> Acrobat would only be available as an .rpm package (and not as a tarball
> like now). What should I do in such a case?

I did this once but I forget what for.  I used mc (midnight commander)
to poke into the rpm just as if (maybe it is) a tarball and installed
everything under /usr/local.  This was before /opt was in the hier.

Now that /opt is in the hier, I would suggest that you would install the
whole shebang manually under /opt/$PACKAGENAME which makes removal later
much easier.

Then you just need to adjust your path and read the documentation.  The
only problem is if a program is written with hard-coded locations (e.g.
it looks for a specific file in a specific place).  If it gets too
convoluted, I forget it and rewrite the app in python/fortran (my
languages of choice).  This latter option is what I've done since for
anything for which there is no suitable debian native package.

Doug.