Re: Aptitude wants to remove OpenOffice.org

Hi Bob,

On 6/8/07, Bob Proulx <bob@proulx.com> wrote:

Manon Metten wrote:
> Nevertheless I've learned now how to install an .rpm package. (As a
> Debian newbie, I still have to learn a lo-o-o-o-ot)

Please clarify!  Please tell me that you are not going to be install
.rpm packages on your Debian system!  If that is what you meant then
please let us talk you out of it.

No, I won't install .rpms instead of .debs, nor am I looking for .rpms. In fact,
I'm disgusted by the deal RedHat made with M$. To me Debian has all I
need and I choose it because of its freedom (as in speech). I'll probably
stick with it forever. The only time I've felt the need to convert .rpms to .debs
was just in this case of OOo coz I could not find any .debs on the OOo
website, and I didn't know about the backports.

Speaking about the only time, I've only been on Debian for a very short
time. I've installed Sarge some 10 months ago and made the transition to
Etch just two weeks before its final release. My other system is AmigaOS,
which I still use too, but which is hopelessly outdated. I bought my first
Amiga in the early nineties and that has been my only OS for many years.

Whatever it is that you are talking about I am hoping that it will be
available as a .deb package.  A port if nothing else.  Using 'alien'
to make the port.  Almost anything is better than installing .rpms
directly on a dpkg system.

I noticed that you are very alarmed about installing .rpms on a Debian
system. Although I am NOT planning on doing so, please explain.
Please also explain "Almost anything is better than installing .rpms
directly on a dpkg system."

Greetings and thanks, Manon.