Re: Ethernet and wireless suddenly not working on Etch

Hi,

Nope.  If you read what I wrote, I'm writing these e-mails through my work laptop connected to the same router.  Also mentioned previously is that I also tried connecting the modem directly to the Thinkpad with no difference in results.  I've tested all the ethernet jacks on the router and different ethernet cables but the result is the same.

In addition, when I do "iwconfig", it shows all the right information: correct ESSID, Mode, Key, Link Quality=92/92, but when I do "ifconfig", I don't get any IP address obtained =[

When I run "dhclient eth1" (eth1 is my wireless) it says:
DHCPDISCOVER on eth1 to 255.255.255.255 port 67 interval [some number], and after 5 retries, it finally gives a "No DHCPOFFERS received" message...

It's starting to annoy me.  I can't figure out what I did (or didn't do) that caused this or how to fix it.

Cheers,
-Glen

On 6/5/07, Paul Scott <waterhorse@ultrasw.com> wrote:
On Tue, Jun 05, 2007 at 04:34:21PM -0500, Mumia W.. wrote:
> On 06/05/2007 04:10 PM, Glen Yu wrote:
> >[...]
> >It says I'm "connected" but gives me network info of:
> >
> >Driver: e100
> >
> >IP 196.254.180.46
> >Broadcast addr: 169.254.255.255
> >Subnet Mask: 255.255.0.0
> >

> >All that info doesn't make any scense as I'm connected to a router, so the
> >IP should be 192.168.x.x and the subnet mask should be 255.255.255.0
> >instead
> >also.
> >[...]
>
> Uninstall zeroconf and network-manager if you have them installed. Many
> people say these packages take over their network configurations.

Looking at the broadcast clearly that should be 169.254.180.46.  The range from 169.254.0.0 to 169.254.255.255 is a special non-routable range which I believe indicates that your router is not connected to the Internet.

Try Googling 169.254.1.1

Paul Scott