Ethernet and wireless suddenly not working on Etch

Hi everyone,

I just installed Etch on my old IBM Thinkpad X30 (P3 1.066GHz, 1GB RAM).  To my (delightful) surprise, wireless was working right out of the box (so to speak), and of course ethernet was working fine as well (as it was a net install).  Anyhow, fast forward to today where suddenly, it couldn't get a proper IP address via DHCP.  I even tried assigning a static IP to it but that didn't help either.  I've ruled out the modem and the router as I'm connected via the router as we speak on my work laptop and I've also tried connecting directly from the modem to the Etch Thinkpad.

It says I'm "connected" but gives me network info of:

Driver: e100

IP 196.254.180.46
Broadcast addr: 169.254.255.255
Subnet Mask: 255.255.0.0

All that info doesn't make any scense as I'm connected to a router, so the IP should be 192.168.x.x and the subnet mask should be 255.255.255.0 instead also.

Prior to this happening I was trying to add in an init script for the Debian package tpb (Thinkpad buttons).  I've since removed it but I still get the same error (I get a similar error with wireless).

I've also tried re-installing, but when I get to the network portion of the install it says something's wrong with my DHCP...

I'm kind of stuck right now and would appreciate any help or advice concerning this.

Cheers,
-Glen