Re: I am ANGRY with Debian.

Max Hyre <max@hyre.net> writes:

>  Watch out for loaded words.  The decision was indeed
> ``political'' in that it was put up to a vote, but
> `politics' has negative connotations that I don't think
> apply here.  Each person voting, whether pro or con, was
> voting out of principle, not because they'd been bribed, or
> because they'd been forced to follow the party line.  They
> were deciding what the party line was to be.
>
>    This is politics at its best, and has no connection to
> the operations of the U.S. legislative or executive
> branches, which is what the word `political' is loaded with.
>
>    Indeed, better coordination in the transition (notably
> pointing people toward the excised documents) would have
> been a major improvement.  However, ``because of a political
> decision'' sounds like something derogatory.  In what sense
> do you mean for people to understand that phrase?

Firstly, I disagree that the word 'political' is loaded with
connections to the US legislative or executive branches; that is a
parochial view. I am from the UK, why would I make those associations?

In this instance, Debian the community of developers and package
maintainers, has made a politicial decision and then taken a mandate
for action from that which overreaches what should have been done.

As far as I can see, only a third of the electorate voted. And Debian
has a very limited electorate; I have been using Debian for 10 years;
I have contributed help and user conversions - but I don't get a vote.

What I'm saying is that care should have been taken with the
decision. It was a sensitive issue and what is being done is not
sensitive.

And I think that is *exactly* like politics elsewhere. I am not
surprised by that. But I am dissapointed and angry.

It is also interesting that a good number of people have seen nothing
wrong with the actions as they have been taken and I get taken to task
for bringing it up. That looks a lot like normal politics to me.

--
Nic Ferrier
http://www.tapsellferrier.co.uk