Re: I am ANGRY with Debian.

On Wed, May 30, 2007 at 04:09:11PM -0500, Ron Johnson wrote:
> On 05/30/07 12:18, Nic James Ferrier wrote:
> >My name is Nic Ferrier. I am really ANGRY at Debian.
> >
> >After 10 years of being a dedicated Debian user I have reached the
> >point at which I am so angry with what is being done that I want to
> >stop using it. I will start to look for viable alternatives to Debian.
> >
> >A few weeks ago, as Emacs was nearing the end of it's long release 23
> >development cycle, I decided I would upgrade my emacs-snapshot.
> >
> >Oh dear. emacs-snapshot is quite old and not recent at all. Hmmm,
> >what's happened to that I wonder? I go ask the maintainer of the
> >package. He tells me that Debian want him to remove the free
> >documentation from inside Emacs, a ludicrous suggestion frankly and
> >clearly detrimental to the package so he has stopped working on it. He
> >was quite right; in my opnion there is nothing else to do.
>
> There are lots of emails on -devel and -legal about problems "they"
> have with the GFDL (Gnu Free Document License) regarding the DFSG.
>
> [snip]
> >If anyone wants to setup an alternative, GNU friendly, single software
> >package archive they should get in touch with me privately.
>
> Ubuntu?
Yes, IIRC Ubuntu has a different licensing structure than Debian which
may allow for what the OP would like. Also, IIRC, isn't there going to
be some discussion with FSF, Debian and others about GPLV3 that may work
some of these issue out?>

About a year ago, there was a GR (general resolution) that Debian had
and it said 'GFDL without invariant sections' are DFSG-free while 'GFDL
with invariant sections' is not. Read info on the vote.
|_______  Unless I ask to be CCd, assume I am subscribed _______|