Re: Good Debian/Linux FTP Client program ???

On 5/31/07, Douglas Allan Tutty <dtutty@porchlight.ca> wrote:

In both modes, rsync must be installed on both machines.  When you tell
your rsync to copy your backup to a remote box, if the same file already
exists and you tell it to overwrite, rsync will compare the differences
and only send the differences over the wire, speeding up the transfer
greatly unless the files differ greatly.

Thanks for the nice review! I was looking for the same feature in Gnu
tar. It does have the update feature but somehow it doesn't seem to
work. ANd it certainly doesn't work if the tar file is g/bzipped (with
the z/j option).

I hope rsync will work here. I could then run th backup script as a
cron job daily. It should only send the differences since there won't
be a big difference for incremental backups.

BTW, what is the measure of this difference for rsync?
Anyway, I'll go ahead and install it. IF there's some nice tutorial
page about rsync, you or someone can mention that will be great too!

Regards,
Deboo

--
Please don't Cc: me, I'm subscribed to the list.