Re: Good Debian/Linux FTP Client program ???

On Thu, May 31, 2007 at 03:02:24AM +0530, Deboo ^ wrote:
> On 5/30/07, Douglas Allan Tutty <dtutty@porchlight.ca> wrote:
>
> >I've never used ftp in a script.  I push or pull backups around with
> >rsync.
>
> I'd like to know more abot rsync. Is it secure? Does/can  it use openssl?
>
> Is rsync a good solution for big backups? I keep seeing rsync
> mentioned a lot. Seems it's very reliable. I think people even use
> rsync to update debian? Or maybe I am wrong?
>
> >However, there may be a reason that what you're trying to do does work.
> >Rather than looking at getting lftp to do what you want, what is it that
> >you want in general; what task is it you are trying to do with lftp?
> >
> It' s just a bacup directory that I want synchronized with my remote
> shell account.

There are two modes of rsync.  There's the kind you use to download a CD
from an rsync server: great for unreliable connections since it will fix
a corrupted file even if you started out using a different program (e.g.
wget) to get the file in the first place.

The other mode is where it uses ssh as the transport layer so it is very
secure; everything is encrypted before going across the wire.

It's great for backups.  It's great for moving config files around.

In both modes, rsync must be installed on both machines.  When you tell
your rsync to copy your backup to a remote box, if the same file already
exists and you tell it to overwrite, rsync will compare the differences
and only send the differences over the wire, speeding up the transfer
greatly unless the files differ greatly.

It maintains owners, permissions, and times.  All in all it's a great
tool.

Doug.