Re: Is Etch Stable is really stable?

Michael Conway wrote:
> From what I have read in the Etch Install notes, it is actually
> recomended that Etch be clean-installed and not dist-upgraded from sarge
> due to issues being reported in this process. Maybe things have changed
> though.
[...]

You may be thinking of of a bug report from 2nd December 2006 [1]. The issues
seems to have been resolved in the release notes [2]. The last reply to the bug
report (4th April 2007) includes: "We believe that the current version of the
release notes documents a viable upgrade path that addresses all of the upgrade
issues reported here".

The release notes [2] contain a section on "Upgrades from previous releases".

There is also a suggestion for avoiding upgrade problems on the NewbieDOC wiki [3].

[2] http://www.debian.org/releases/stable/releasenotes
[3]
http://newbiedoc.berlios.de/wiki/Aptitude_-_using_together_with_Synaptic_and_Apt-get#Upgrading_from_Sarge_to_Etch

Hth,