Re: reconfiguring grub to see windows partition etc....

On Mon, 2007-05-21 at 08:11 +0000, Michael Fothergill wrote:
> Dear Debianists,
>
> I am using a machine at work that has an AMD Duron 1200 MHz i386 chip in it
> and two hard disks.  The master is a 40GB drive and the secondary one is a
> 20GB drive.
>
> Debian Etch r0 i386 lives on the 40GB drive.
>
> I used to have Fedora Core 6 on the 20 GB drive but now I wiped it off using
> the debian installer partitioning software.....
>
> After a lot of farting around I managed to install Windows 98 on the smaller
> 20GB drive.
> I need it to run certain software I can't easily run in Linux.
>
> I had to disconnect the master 40GB drive to get windows to think the slave
> drive was the primary drive....  It then installed.
>
> I have been booting the Debian on the master disk with a boot floppy with
> grub on it.  This works fine.
>
> But it doesn't see the Windows and so I can't boot it now after I have
> reconnected the master hard drive....
>
> I can only boot Debian.
>
> How do I reconfigure the grub to see the windows 98 partition and allow me
> the option of booting it without having to reinstall the entire Debian OS on
> the big disk?
>
> I think I could also do better to drop using the floppy and just have the
> machine boot with grub from the hard disk itself and then give me the option
> of firing up either Debian or Windows 98...
>
> Your suggestions on achieving this would be appreciated.
>
> I have discovered that Windows can be tough to install relative to most
> Linux distributions.

Here is the ending snippet from my non-usable, but still seen Windows on
my Wifes computer.

### END DEBIAN AUTOMAGIC KERNELS LIST

# This is a divider, added to separate the menu items below from the Debian
# ones.
title           Other operating systems:
root

# This entry automatically added by the Debian installer for a non-linux OS
# on /dev/hde1
title           Microsoft Windows XP Professional
root            (hd1,0)
savedefault
chainloader     +1

--