Re: [OT] messages with HTML content (was: rampant offtopic and offensive posts to debian-user)

On Sun, May 20, 2007 at 04:07:49PM +0200, Florian Kulzer wrote:
> On Sun, May 20, 2007 at 09:49:14 -0400, Gregory Seidman wrote:
> > On Sun, May 20, 2007 at 02:15:53PM +0200, Florian Kulzer wrote:
> > > On Sat, May 19, 2007 at 19:57:49 -0400, Patrick Wiseman wrote:
> > >
> > > [...]
> > >
> > > Maybe you should learn to follow clearly stated list policies such as
> > > "Never send your messages in HTML; use plain text instead." before you
> > > make judgement calls about the contributions of others.
> >
> > Actually, his message was a properly configured multipart/alternative
> > message. I'm set up to prefer text/plain over text/html when viewing
> > multipart/alternative, so I wasn't even aware that it contained an HTML
> > version until I went back to check. I don't think you have any basis for
> > complaint on this one.
>
> I was well aware of the exact nature of his message; that is why I
> changed the subject to "messages with HTML content" and not simply to
> "HTML messages".  In my understanding of the English language the words
> "never" and "instead" in the mailing list guidelines rule out messages
> with an HTML part just as much as they rule out HTML-only ones.

I think you're being unreasonably pedantic. Remember the Internet
Robustness Principle: "Be strict when sending and tolerant when receiving."
(I found http://ironick.typepad.com/ironick/2005/05/my_history_of_t.html to
have a nice history, incidentally.) His message was perfectly readable in
plain text, and I believe that follows the spirit of the law here.

Anyhow, we're way off-topic here. If you want to discuss further, let's
take it off the list.

> Regards,            | http://users.icfo.es/Florian.Kulzer
>           Florian   |
--Greg