Re: [OT] messages with HTML content (was: rampant offtopic and offensive posts to debian-user)

On Sun, May 20, 2007 at 10:58:02AM -0400, Gregory Seidman wrote:
> On Sun, May 20, 2007 at 04:07:49PM +0200, Florian Kulzer wrote:

> > > Actually, his message was a properly configured multipart/alternative
> > > message. I'm set up to prefer text/plain over text/html when viewing
> > > multipart/alternative, so I wasn't even aware that it contained an HTML
> > > version until I went back to check. I don't think you have any basis for
> > > complaint on this one.
> >
> > I was well aware of the exact nature of his message; that is why I
> > changed the subject to "messages with HTML content" and not simply to
> > "HTML messages".  In my understanding of the English language the words
> > "never" and "instead" in the mailing list guidelines rule out messages
> > with an HTML part just as much as they rule out HTML-only ones.
>
> I think you're being unreasonably pedantic. Remember the Internet
> Robustness Principle: "Be strict when sending and tolerant when receiving."
> (I found http://ironick.typepad.com/ironick/2005/05/my_history_of_t.html to
> have a nice history, incidentally.) His message was perfectly readable in
> plain text, and I believe that follows the spirit of the law here.

Actually, one of the chief complaints with regard to the volume of OT
traffic was that it wastes bandwidth and costs money (especially for
those on metered connections).  It is, then, a perfectly valid point.

> Anyhow, we're way off-topic here. If you want to discuss further, let's
> take it off the list.

Seeing as it affects what is considered the norm for interpretation of
part of the conduct (does "never send HTML" literally mean you should
"never have any HTML in your messages," or does it mean "don't send only
HTML, such that someone who whants to see text gets to see it"?), I'd
say it is quite on topic.

Regards,

-Roberto

--