Re: rampant offtopic and offensive posts to debian-user

On Saturday 19 May 2007 11:19, Greg Folkert wrote:
> But just HOW do you fix this kind of problem on an *OPEN* list,
> especially for a Debian Developer, that does the "sword" packages and
> the cyrus-sasl2 package? (and others packages)
>
> Come, lets here a solution, I've discussed some solutions, how about
> you?

This particular problem is solved for the most part by a policy change
that says non-Debian topics are inappropriate.  This opens the door to
various actions starting with "this is not appropriate, please stop" in
the event that fox news junkies again start braying their ignorance here.
This simple and often effective remedy is currently denied us because
there is as yet no such policy.

The other recurring problem is solved by restricting posting to list
subscribers.  If people want free tech support for a one-off question it
is not unreasonable that they should subscribe, even if temporarily.  The
benefits in increased usefulness due to reduced spam would outweigh any
minor inconvenience.

--Mike Bird