Re: xterm fonts

On Fri, May 18, 2007 at 07:19:54PM -0400, cga2000 wrote:
> On Fri, May 18, 2007 at 11:07:22AM EDT, s. keeling wrote:
> > This happened years ago, and I believe you can blame upstream for it,
> > not FOSS.  Nowadays, ~/.Xdefaults is often a symbolic link that points
> > to ~/.Xresources.
>
> Ah .. well .. for one thing .. calling the blessed thing .Xresources
> makes a bit more sense than .Xdefaults ..  But aren't they worried this
> might break things for some people?  Or has this mysterious, to me at
> least, entity called "upstream" automated the conversion via some trick
> or other such as an .Xdefaults -> .Xresources soft link for
> instance?

The way I understand it, whenever X looks for these files, it first
looks for .Xresources, and sometime after that looks for .Xdefaults in
case that's what you still call it. In other words, it is deprecated,
but not disallowed.

I can't remember which manpage I read this from, and it doesn't appear
to be in the xrdb or xorg manpages, but I know I read this somewhere a
while back...

--
Michael V. De Palatis
Georgia Institute of Technology