Re: xterm fonts

cga2000 <cga2000@optonline.net>:
>  On Fri, May 18, 2007 at 11:07:22AM EDT, s. keeling wrote:
> > cga2000 <cga2000@optonline.net>:

> > >  Interesting.  .Xdefaults still works on debian etch. Did you "deprecate"
> > >  it in what is it .. lenny?  Is this documented anywhere?
> >
> > This happened years ago, and I believe you can blame upstream for it,
> > not FOSS.  Nowadays, ~/.Xdefaults is often a symbolic link that points
> > to ~/.Xresources.
>
>  In any case, I'm sure you know as well as I do that you can call the
>  file whatever you like .. except it won't be read automatically when X
>  starts up.

>From my ~/.xinitrc:

   userresources=$HOME/.Xresources
   if [ -f $userresources ]; then
       xrdb -merge $userresources
   fi

I run X from the console, and don't use graphical login managers (XDM,
KDM, ...).

>  Another thing that I don't like in principle with a solution that's
>  app-centric as opposed to defining everything globally to the X server

.Xdefaults/.Xresources is global, assuming you use apps which care
about X resources (which is often no longer the case if you use KDE or
Gnome apps).

>  is that this code you add gets executed ... variables created etc. ..
>  each and every time you start an instance of one of your apps.  True ..

There's the difference between shells and login shells.  Compare the
difference between "xterm &" and "xterm -ls &". The aliases I define
only get defined if PS1 is defined.

>  when you see the bloat in the average linux user's X environment .. it's
>  peanuts .. but all the same it still feels like a way of doing things
>  that goes against the grain .. X's I mean.

Lots of stuff is done nowadays that goes against the original
intention of X's designers (KDE, Gnome, ...).  That doesn't mean you
have to put up with them.  I have 117 files or directories in my HOME,
and only two of the files aren't dotfiles.

I've had the misfortune of having to herd (as in "clean up after")
nuclear physicists who didn't know what a directory was:

   Me: "Dennis just reported that he's broken his codebase again and
       can't get it to compile anymore.  Can we please take it away
       from him now and force him to use a revision control system
       under our control?"

   Them: "No."

(*)    http://www.spots.ab.ca/~keeling          Linux Counter #80292
       Spammers! http://www.spots.ab.ca/~keeling/emails.html