Re: Typing an '@' symbol on an Apple keyboard

On Thu, 2007-05-17 at 03:28 +0000, s. keeling wrote:
> Florian Kulzer <florian.kulzer+debian@icfo.es>:
> >  I might be able to tell you how to set this up using xmodmap, but this
> >  depends on how similar your Apple keyboard is to the "pc105" ones that I
> >  know. For a start, I need to see the output of:
> >
> >  xmodmap -pk | grep '(g)\|ISO_Level3_Shift'
> >
> >  It can also not hurt if you post the keyboard part of your xorg.conf.
> >  You can run
> >
> >  awk '/Section "InputDevice"/,/EndSection/' /etc/X11/xorg.conf
>
> Damn, I love this mailing list.  Some of you people are like gods to
> me.  The best I was able to come up with on this was "wrong keyboard
> definition" and maybe play with xev to see what it says the key's
> doing.
>
> Some of you must spend your entire day reading man pages.  :-0
>
> Woof.  Way cool, Florian.

What it actually comes from is HOURS and HOURS and HOURS of trying to
fix things. Learning what to do and what to REALLY stay away from.
Learning what give you what you want in the fewest keystrokes or the
least work to wrap you mind around something.

awk... if you use *NIX: sed, grep, awk are your three bestestest
friends.

Just to give you an idea of what I mean, I was able to fix an entire set
of 3M+ records in a system by:

      * Dumping the data into a dumpfile
      * Use grep to locate the bad data and look at it.
      * use sed to change all the data needing to be changed, in one
        pass.
      * use awk to display it properly to make sure nothing went wrong
      * write it to another file
      * rename the old table
      * create a new table (with indexes, etc)
      * verify the data through programmers reports
      * Drop the old table

All in less time than it would have taken to let the "system" fix it. As
the relational stuff would have killed performance in any case.

the 3M+ records were actually corrected in under 3 minutes on an "old"
1GHz Linux machine with lotsa memory. The 4 CPU server would have been
pegged for hours. We tried to correct the data on the QA system, which
is a complete mirror of the production machine.

Can we say "ouch"?
--
greg, greg@gregfolkert.net
PGP key: 1024D/B524687C  2003-08-05