Re: Typing an '@' symbol on an Apple keyboard

On Wed, May 16, 2007 at 14:48:53 +0200, Matthias Brennwald (bwm) wrote:
> Dear all
>
> thanks for your replies so far. It looks like I'll have (i) to look harder
> to find the correct key combination or (ii) tweak the configuration my
> keyboard setup. I prefer (ii) because I want to use the keys on my keyboard
> in the way they are labelled (I'm really bad in remembering what keystrokes
> I'll have to press if it's not obvious from the labels on the keys).
> So far I've seen hints to make X11 use the keymaps from a given file.
> However, with the keymap setting that comes cloesest to my keyboard, the
> '@' (which is located on the 'G' key of my keyboard) is not functional.
> Therefore: is it possible to explicitly tell X11 how to handle the
> behaviour of a given keystroke that is not otherwise handled by the
> 'normal' keymap settings? If so, I'd like to make 'Alt-g' to produce an '@'
> (that's the way it's normally done on my keyboard).

I might be able to tell you how to set this up using xmodmap, but this
depends on how similar your Apple keyboard is to the "pc105" ones that I
know. For a start, I need to see the output of:

xmodmap -pk | grep '(g)\|ISO_Level3_Shift'

It can also not hurt if you post the keyboard part of your xorg.conf.
You can run

awk '/Section "InputDevice"/,/EndSection/' /etc/X11/xorg.conf

to display all sections related to input devices.

          Florian   |