Re: Trimming the fat off an installation

Chris Bannister wrote:
On Thu, May 10, 2007 at 07:23:27AM +0100, andy wrote:
Dear all

As a Debian n00b I enthusiastically gorged myself on the wonders and ease of apt-get. Now, having recovered from my initial over-indulgence, like one considers one's post-festive waistline, I am wanting to figure out a way to rid myself of packages that I don't use, orphan files, and other random bits of software detritus.

I am running an Etch -> Lenny, and have deborphan installed. I am very wary of just launching into it though because it seemed to call up a lot of files and I don't - obviously - want to break anything.

Can someone point me in the direction of some guides/pointers that are current and reliable, or even share some personal experiences of trimming down the "fat".

Many thanks for any help.

apt-get --purge remove gnome
apt-get --purge remove kde
apt-get install fvwm
Good idea, but it wont work. Both 'gnome' and 'kde' are meta-packages. All they do is depend on a bunch of other packages which would not be removed by the above commands. Aptitude would remove the dependancies when removing the meta-packages IF gnome and kde were installed by aptitude. Since th OP says that he is using apt-get, however, this will not work.

--
Marc Shapiro
mshapiro_42@yahoo.com