Trimming the fat off an installation

Dear all

As a Debian n00b I enthusiastically gorged myself on the wonders and ease of apt-get. Now, having recovered from my initial over-indulgence, like one considers one's post-festive waistline, I am wanting to figure out a way to rid myself of packages that I don't use, orphan files, and other random bits of software detritus.

I am running an Etch -> Lenny, and have deborphan installed. I am very wary of just launching into it though because it seemed to call up a lot of files and I don't - obviously - want to break anything.

Can someone point me in the direction of some guides/pointers that are current and reliable, or even share some personal experiences of trimming down the "fat".

Many thanks for any help.

Andy