Re: Trimming the fat off an installation

On Thu, May 10, 2007 at 07:23:27AM +0100, andy wrote:
> Dear all
>
> As a Debian n00b I enthusiastically gorged myself on the wonders and
> ease of apt-get. Now, having recovered from my initial over-indulgence,
> like one considers one's post-festive waistline, I am wanting to figure
> out a way to rid myself of packages that I don't use, orphan files, and
> other random bits of software detritus.
>
> I am running an Etch -> Lenny, and have deborphan installed. I am very
> wary of just launching into it though because it seemed to call up a lot
> of files and I don't - obviously - want to break anything.
>
> Can someone point me in the direction of some guides/pointers that are
> current and reliable, or even share some personal experiences of
> trimming down the "fat".
>
> Many thanks for any help.

apt-get --purge remove gnome
apt-get --purge remove kde
apt-get install fvwm

Also go through the /var/lib/dpkg/info/ directory checking each package
to see if you need it.

e.g less /var/lib/dpkg/info/a<tab><tab>

apt-cache show a<whatever> etc.

dpkg --purge a<whatever> if you don't want it.

apt-cache rdepends a<whatever> to see what packages depend on
a<whatever>

apt-cache show cruft
apt-cache show localepurge

Try "palming" off jobs to other computers. i.e setup a lan and say, have
postgreSQL on one computer, an IMAP server on another etc.

"dpkg -L <whatever> | less" will show you what files are installed
(just lists the <whatever>.list file) and hence you may want to delete
certain pdf txt.gz files, possibly printing them out first.

HTH

--
Chris.
======