Re: [OT] The record industry, RIAA and US law

On Wed, 09 May 2007 16:14:44 -0400
Amy Templeton <amy.g.templeton@gmail.com> wrote:

> Celejar <celejar@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Johannes Wiedersich <johannes@physik.blm.tu-muenchen.de> wrote:
> > > The whole mission is a textbook example of how it probably is
> > > impossible to bring about democracy, peace and freedom by
> > > application of force.
>
> > Impossible? Where were Germany and Japan before and after WWII?
>
> Before: A lot more populous.
> After: In ruins.
>
> Seriously, though...are you advocating dropping nuclear bombs on
> people in order to force them to be "free"? 'Cause if I recall
> that's how we got Japan to lay down arms...

First, I was simply providing a counter example to Johannes'
aforementioned assertion, but not necessarily advocating anything.
Second, what about Germany? Third, WRT Japan I suppose we had three
choices: a) the Bomb b) continued conventional war c) negotiated
peace / truce / ceasefire. It's easy to argue for a over b
(minimization of the total loss of life, including total loss of enemy
life), although I know that one can argue the contrary also. WRT option
c, do you think that was a historically realistic possibility? [It's
not a rhetorical question; my knowledge of the period isn't that
strong.]

> --Amy "I-Hate-To-Get-Involved-But-Oh-Well" T.

Celejar