Re: [OT] The record industry, RIAA and US law

On Tue, 08 May 2007 19:08:11 +0200
Joe Hart <j.hart@orange.nl> wrote:

> Jostein Elvaker Haande wrote:
> > I'm left speechless, honestly...
> >
> > http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20070507-record-shops-used-cds-ihre-papieren-bitte.html
> >

> Ha! Makes me glad I don't live there.  Looks to me like another reason
> to download music from the Internet.  I really cannot understand how a
> government that claims "to be the leaders of the free world" can be so
> against the people.  No wonder so many people are starting to think
> poorly of the U.S. government.

Do you really think that
a) that's why so many people think poorly of the US government?
b) other governments have much less burdensome, anti-consumer
legislation? The EU is not known as a low profile, anti-regulation
outfit. Remember banana curve regs?

> We can hope that things like this will change when the Democrats get
> control.  Don't hold your breath.

Hope may spring eternal within the human breast, but why would we
expect that to be the case? Are the Dems less beholden to Hollywood and
the recording industry, ideologically more opposed to government
control of economic activity, or just plain more sensible and fair :).
[Just teasing; don't take this as a flame!]
> Joe

Celejar