Re: [OT] Screen

On Thu, May 10, 2007 at 07:50:34AM EDT, Tyler Smith wrote:
> On 2007-05-10, Amy Templeton <amy.g.templeton@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Tyler Smith <tyler.smith@mail.mcgill.ca> wrote:
> >> First, for someone who claims not to be a *nix wizard you are not
> >> very convincing. There aren't a lot of 20 year-old non-compsci
> >> geeks around that don't at least use a graphical browser ;)
> >
> > I'm all about that thing with the
> > umm...trees, I think? Real world. That's the phrase),
>
> As a botanist I can relate. Even more so as a student with a thesis
> pending...
>

> >> what does screen do better than multiple xterms
> >
> > Mouseless paste (that's how I found out about it, actually).
>
> That is something worth having.

And you can do some fun things like copying a rectangular block:

Ctrl-A [ M 20l <space> c 10l 5j C <space>

.. lets you copy a five-line / 10 column rectangle starting at the
middle of the screen (M) in col 20 on the current display.  I'm not sure
(and I honestly don't care..) whether you can do this with a mouse ..

Comes in handy when text is indented .. part of an html table .. etc.

> > Also, I just prefer having fewer windows open.

Well naturally .. I used to fire up xterms all over the place .. and
once in a while things got out of control and I would have to do the
garbage collection manually..

No such worries now that I use gnu/screen.

> > And if for some reason I have to restart X, I don't lose whatever
> > was going on in the terminal since it just "detaches" instead of
> > closing and killing whatever process is running.

> This has come up a few times. I don't really understand. Some
> experimenting is in order I think.

Your choice ..

Nor sure if it has already been mentioned, but another useful feature of
gnu/screen is that you can have it monitor your different sessions and
display a message on the hard status line when an event occurs.

> > The reason I use Stumpwm instead is that I can
> > control it from within Emacs (I know, I'm not helping my case; but
> > I'm really just a literature nerd, I swear!), since it's written in
> > lisp. Ratpoison's in the Debian repos, I believe (stumpwm is too,
> > but it's just a CVS snapshot, which is what's available).
> >

> I installed stumpwm from the repos last night. It runs from a lisp
> REPL! You have now officially blown your cover. Just waiting for the
> photographic proof that you are actually a crusty old AI hacker with a
> long beard and sandals... aha! here you are:
>
> http://www.perturb.org/display/entry/462/
>
> > --
> > When marriage is outlawed, only outlaws will have inlaws.

Good luck with it ..

Thanks,
cga