Re: [OT] Screen

On 2007-05-10, Amy Templeton <amy.g.templeton@gmail.com> wrote:
> Tyler Smith <tyler.smith@mail.mcgill.ca> wrote:
>> First, for someone who claims not to be a *nix wizard you are not
>> very convincing. There aren't a lot of 20 year-old non-compsci
>> geeks around that don't at least use a graphical browser ;)
>
> I'm all about that thing with the
> umm...trees, I think? Real world. That's the phrase),

As a botanist I can relate. Even more so as a student with a thesis
pending...

>> what does screen do better than multiple xterms
>
> Mouseless paste (that's how I found out about it, actually).

That is something worth having.

> Also,
> I just prefer having fewer windows open. And if for some reason I
> have to restart X, I don't lose whatever was going on in the
> terminal since it just "detaches" instead of closing and killing
> whatever process is running.

This has come up a few times. I don't really understand. Some
experimenting is in order I think.

> The reason I use Stumpwm instead is that I can
> control it from within Emacs (I know, I'm not helping my case; but
> I'm really just a literature nerd, I swear!), since it's written in
> lisp. Ratpoison's in the Debian repos, I believe (stumpwm is too,
> but it's just a CVS snapshot, which is what's available).

I installed stumpwm from the repos last night. It runs from a lisp
REPL! You have now officially blown your cover. Just waiting for the
photographic proof that you are actually a crusty old AI hacker with a
long beard and sandals... aha! here you are:

http://www.perturb.org/display/entry/462/

> --
> When marriage is outlawed, only outlaws will have inlaws.

:)

Cheers,

Tyler