Re: [OT] Screen

Tyler Smith:
> On 2007-05-10, Amy Templeton <amy.g.templeton@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Also,
>> I just prefer having fewer windows open. And if for some reason I
>> have to restart X, I don't lose whatever was going on in the
>> terminal since it just "detaches" instead of closing and killing
>> whatever process is running.
>
> This has come up a few times. I don't really understand. Some
> experimenting is in order I think.

Yes, this is confusing if you haven't seen it in action. Maybe you know
VNC (remote desktop application for windows), it's the same concept.

To give you an idea: I have mutt, slrn and a few other console
applications running in a screen session on one of my computers at home.
This computer is running 24/7 and has no display. Instead, when I am at
home I switch on my laptop, ssh to the machine and "attach" to my screen
session. When I go to bed, I don't quit screen or any of the apps, I
just detach and shut my laptop down while screen keeps running.

When I go somewhere else, I can ssh to that machine just as well, only
from the outside. Even when running Windows I can use PuTTY and attach
to my screen session and use mutt, slrn etc. without having to start
them. They are always there, you just cannot see them until you attach
to your session.

You can even attach to the same session multiple times, so when you ssh
over to your friend's computer to fix something, he can see what you
type and vice versa.

J.
--
I am very intolerant with other drivers.
[Agree]   [Disagree]