Re: [OT] Good, evil and religion [WAS] Re: A way to compile 3rd party modules into deb system?

Ron Johnson wrote:

> Suicide should be legal, but euthanasia is "someone else killing
> you", and I see that as a great slippery slope towards total
> government control over life.

Well, it isn't.  Neither is euthanasia there, but the government does
find it perfectly moral to put criminals to death, and not to protect
unborn children.  I don't see very much consistency in the policies.

>>> Shedding the blood of animals to *cover* human sin was what YHWH
>>> demanded.
>
>> I just don't get how killing something else can atone for your sins.
>> penitence must occur to oneself, not to another being.
>
> And I don't think there is "sin", since I'm an atheist.
>
> Although I do believe that there is "evil".  Is that contradictory?

I would think that it is, yes, a bit contradictory.  But, you live in a
free country that lets you believe what you want.  So do I.

>>> Jesus' death and the shedding of His blood permanently *washed* away
>>> all human sin.
>>> Note the different words I used: *cover*, which is temporary and why
>>> Jews had to make yearly sacrifices, and *washed* which is permanent.
>>>  The Law is now fulfilled, and now all that is left is for man to
>>> believe.
>>> That, at least, is the way I was taught it by the Assemblies of God.
>> So which world do you think we live in?
>
> In a hypocritical world.
>
> And I believe that a little hypocrisy is a good thing, and needed
> for the smooth functioning of society.

Yes, it is a hypocritical world, and it seems that many in power are
hypocrites.  The idea being:  company president says to Preiest, "You
keep them stupid and I will keep them poor"

Joe