Re: help!

David wrote:
> Hey everyone,
>
> I just downloaded and installed debian 4.0 stable on my laptop a
> couple of days ago, i've been playing around with it and its great!.
> although i have been having a bit of difficulty finding a good guide
> that explains just the basics of debian.

Hello David,

Welcome to the wonderful world of Debian. :)

You may find some help at the Debian newbie documentation site [1]. You could
start with the article about the basic features of Debian [2].

You might also consider sharing your learning experience by contributing to site
- it is a wiki and very easy to edit.

>  In particular i want to know how
> to install and remove programs

Debian Software comes in "packages". If you are using the X Window System, you
can install software using "Synaptic".  Debian's default desktop is Gnome. You
can find Synaptic in the Gnome "Desktop" menu at the top of the screen:

	Desktop -> Administration -> Synaptic Package Manager

You will need the password for user "root" that you entered during installation.
Once Synaptic is running, look at the introduction. You can see it again anytime:

	Help -> Quick Introduction

Learn how to install packages:

	Help -> Contents

[1] http://newbiedoc.berlios.de/