Re: [OT] Screen

On 5/9/07, Amy Templeton <amy.g.templeton@gmail.com> wrote:
Tyler Smith <tyler.smith@mail.mcgill.ca> wrote:
> what does screen do better than multiple xterms

Mouseless paste (that's how I found out about it, actually). Also,
I just prefer having fewer windows open. And if for some reason I
have to restart X, I don't lose whatever was going on in the
terminal since it just "detaches" instead of closing and killing
whatever process is running.

I have been planning on starting to use screen for the detach, but
if it does pasting better, I guess I have another reason to start using
it.

> I'm going to have to take a look at Stump now too, since Fluxbox
> does still have me mousing around for a few things, mostly
> arranging my multiple xterms.

You may actually prefer ratpoison (the predecessor of stumpwm, by
the same primary author), which at this point is somewhat more
featureful/clean. The reason I use Stumpwm instead is that I can
control it from within Emacs (I know, I'm not helping my case; but
I'm really just a literature nerd, I swear!), since it's written in
lisp. Ratpoison's in the Debian repos, I believe (stumpwm is too,
but it's just a CVS snapshot, which is what's available).

I am finding wmii to be a very good mouseless wm (switched from
fluxbox) for all my term and vim needs, although I suppose
stumpwm must be pretty nice for a dirty emacs user ;-)

RE: "just" a literature nerd  - a very impressive literature nerd, when
you are more CLI oriented than someone who is a future sysadmin
and is trying to become as CLI oriented as possible.

Cheers,
Kelly