Re: Since chvt works, the problem must be the keymap [SOLVED]

Florian Kulzer <florian.kulzer+debian@icfo.es> wrote:
> (My apologies if we went over this already. I have now totally lost
>  track of the various branches of this thread.)

It's okay. Also, appreciated.

> On Fri, May 04, 2007 at 00:26:29 -0400, Amy Templeton wrote:
> > Andrew Sackville-West wrote:

> > > is Amy still lurking on this thread??? is there something
> > > missing in your xorg.conf?
> >
> > I'm still around. I guess you missed my quick workaround the
> > other day (thanks to the magics of xbindkeys, sudo, and
> > chvt). However, if there is an alternative to "us" that you
> > think might fix the problem if given as an argument to
> > "XkbLayout," I'd certainly be glad to try it. GB settings
> > are somewhat useless to me, I'm afraid, since I'm from the
> > US. Thanks, though.

> What do you see if you disable your workaround, run

> tail -fn0 /var/log/Xorg.0.log

> and press CTRL+ALT+F1?

Well...if I do that while I'm still in the XTerm, I see...

^[[1;7P

...but I think that's just XTerm freaking out. When another frame
is focused and I press the buttons, there is no output.

> If you get some errors or warnings related to switching graphics
> modes then we know that the key combination does work after all
> and that there is a problem with the graphics driver. If there is
> no output at all then we know that your keysyms are still not set
> up correctly.

It appears, then, to be the latter.

> It might also be illuminating to try if the switching works with
> the "gb" layout even if this layout is not an acceptable
> permanent solution.

Well, that's interesting. It did work properly using the "gb"
layout (though it took me a while to figure that out, since I
thought the keyboard wasn't working at all, but it turns out there
were just some problems until I disabled my xmodmap). That's very
weird.

One thing that I saw in the startx output using the "gb" layout
that I definitely do *not* see under the "us" layout was the
following...

CODE:
___________________________

SetGrabKeysState - disabled
___________________________

...upon switching to the console, and...

CODE:
__________________________

SetGrabKeysState - enabled
__________________________

...upon switching back to X. Is this inspiring at all?

> This might at least provide an opportunity to revive the "color
> vs. colour" thread that we had a while back...

Oh dear...and that of course brings up "gray vs. grey," "center vs.
centre," "boot vs. trunk," and all those other bizarre little
spelling differences that don't actually make a difference in
pronunciation ("boot" is *totally* still pronounced "trunk" in GB,
I swear).

Anyway...

Thanks,
Amy