Re: Since chvt works, the problem must be the keymap

On Wed, May 02, 2007 at 00:49:38 +0100, David Claughton wrote:
> Florian Kulzer wrote:
>
>> I would experiment like this:
>> xmodmap -e 'keycode  67 = F1 F13 XF86_Switch_VT_1'
>> xmodmap -e 'keycode  67 = F1 F13 F1 XF86_Switch_VT_1'
>> xmodmap -e 'keycode  67 = F1 F1 F1 XF86_Switch_VT_1'
>> xmodmap -e 'keycode  67 = F1 F13 F13 XF86_Switch_VT_1'
>
> Nope, none of these commands seem to work - all possible shift/alt/control
> F1 combinations I tried after running each of these commands just got me an
> error beep + a letter or two on the terminal, or it launched Gnome Help!

So much for that brilliant theory...

[...]

>> $ setxkbmap -print

[...]

> xkb_keymap {
>         xkb_keycodes  { include "xfree86+aliases(qwerty)"       };
>         xkb_types     { include "complete"      };
>         xkb_compat    { include "complete"      };
>         xkb_symbols   { include "pc(pc105)+uk"  };
>         xkb_geometry  { include "pc(pc105)"     };
> };

[...]

> Section "InputDevice"
>         Identifier      "Generic Keyboard"
>         Driver          "kbd"
>         Option          "CoreKeyboard"
>         Option          "XkbRules"      "xorg"
>         Option          "XkbModel"      "pc105"
>         Option          "XkbLayout"     "uk"
> EndSection
>

> So AFAICT, not a lot of help there.
>
> I should also mention that once I have switched VT using Shift-F1, I can
> switch back using Ctrl-Alt-F7 as expected - which seems to suggest nothing
> is wrong with the system keymap.

There are two different keymaps: The console keymap (which seems to be
OK) and the X keymap (which we cannot quite figure out, it seems). The
VT switching mechanism is different once you are outside of X. This is
also the reason why it is enough to press ALT + Fn (no CTRL) to switch
VTs once you are on a non-X tty.

I am afraid it is time to start grasping at straws now:

- try "gb" instead of "uk" for XkbLayout

and/or

- try "pc104" instead of "pc105" for XkbModel

and/or

- add this to the keyboard section:
  Option "Xkbdisable" "true"

Restart X and see if any of it helps.