Re: Since chvt works, the problem must be the keymap [SOLVED]

On Fri, May 04, 2007 at 00:26:29 -0400, Amy Templeton wrote:
> Andrew Sackville-West wrote:

> > > Well, in retrospect it is obvious that we should have had a good look at
> > > your xorg.conf and your logfile first. You joined this thread when we
> > > were already completely fixated on solving the ultimate mystery of the
> > > keysyms and therefore we could not see the forest for the tress anymore,
> > > I guess.
> >
> > is Amy still lurking on this thread??? is there something
> > missing in your xorg.conf?
>
> I'm still around. I guess you missed my quick workaround the
> other day (thanks to the magics of xbindkeys, sudo, and
> chvt). However, if there is an alternative to "us" that you
> think might fix the problem if given as an argument to
> "XkbLayout," I'd certainly be glad to try it. GB settings
> are somewhat useless to me, I'm afraid, since I'm from the
> US. Thanks, though.

What do you see if you disable your workaround, run

tail -fn0 /var/log/Xorg.0.log

and press CTRL+ALT+F1? If you get some errors or warnings related to
switching graphics modes then we know that the key combination does work
after all and that there is a problem with the graphics driver. If there
is no output at all then we know that your keysyms are still not set up
correctly.

(My apologies if we went over this already. I have now totally lost
 track of the various branches of this thread.)

It might also be illuminating to try if the switching works with the
"gb" layout even if this layout is not an acceptable permanent solution.
This might at least provide an opportunity to revive the "color vs.
colour" thread that we had a while back...

          Florian   |