replacing /usr with a new mountpoint

Hello,

my setup is in a 30GB partition with LVM on top.

now i had something like the following initially set up

/ 1GB
/home 3GB
and a few other non standard mountpoints

ok i found that although this is just some minimal system for testing
the / partition is to small (more precise /usr is eating up too much
space)

so I set up a new LV for /usr rsynced mounted and modified fstab to
fit the changes.

of course I'd like to regain the space that the /usr directory on the
/ partition uses. Could I just "telinit 1" umount the /usr mountpoint
empty out the /usr directory remount again and telinit 3 back to
normal?

thanks for the help

--
Martin Marcher