Re: replacing /usr with a new mountpoint

"Martin Marcher" <martin.marcher@gmail.com> writes:

> of course I'd like to regain the space that the /usr directory on the
> / partition uses. Could I just "telinit 1" umount the /usr mountpoint
> empty out the /usr directory remount again and telinit 3 back to
> normal?

I think you can do it without telinit 1.
Try rebinding the / mountpoint somewhere else
mount --bind / /mnt
Then / will be in both / and /mnt
The /mnt/usr should be your original /usr.  Delete that directory, and
unmount /mnt

Theoretically, this should work, but I haven't tried it.

--
John L. Fjellstad