Re: wireless - is it possible?

Default User (<xyzzyx@sbcglobal.net>) wrote:

> On Sun, 2007-04-29 at 00:14 +0200, Andreas Janssen wrote:
>> Default User (<xyzzyx@sbcglobal.net>) wrote:

>> > FWIW, the MA111 says FCC ID: PY3MA111 on the side, and the WG111
>> > says PY3WG111V2 on the side. I do not know how to determine the
>> > chipset inside either. I am not married to Netgear, I just happen
>> > to have those
>> > two adapters (purchased new).  I am not familiar with
>> > moduel-assistant, or adding or subtracting kernel modules. Nor have
>> > I ever "built" a package, or compiled a driver. I have never
>> > rebuilt a kernel. I would much rather just buy a new adapter, if it
>> > would JUST WORK, without any fuss. If I could only find one.
>>
>> Maybe lsusb knows. As for module-assistant, usually it is sufficcient
>>
>> - replace "main" with "main contrib non-free" in your sources.list
>> and run apt-get update
>> - install module-assistant
>> - run module-assistant prepare
>> - run module-assistant auto-install $driver-source
>> - load the driver manually or reboot
>>
>> regards
>>         Andreas Janssen
>>
>> --
>> Andreas Janssen <andreas.janssen@bigfoot.com>
>> PGP-Key-ID: 0xDC801674 ICQ #17079270
>> Registered Linux User #267976
>> http://www.andreas-janssen.de/debian-tipps-sarge.html
>>

> The output of sudo lsusb is:
>
> Bus 001 Device 003: ID 0846:4110 NetGear, Inc. MA111 WiFi (v1)
> Bus 001 Device 004: ID 0846:4240 NetGear, Inc. WG111 WiFi (v2)
> Bus 001 Device 002: ID 058f:9254 Alcor Micro Corp. Hub
> Bus 001 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
>
> There they are, but it doesn't seem to say what chipset they have. And
> as for:
>
> "module-assistant auto-install $driver-source",
> what would "$driver-source" be, and where?
>
> I did take to heart, from man module-assistant:
> "NOTE: don?t even think about using some random kernel-source-x.y.z
> package contents (or linux-x.y.z  tarball from the Internet) to
> specify the kernel source for your currently running kernel. Don?t!
> Those source is not exactly what have been used to build the running
> kernel and its configuration most likely does not match yours."
>
> I think that just refers to the kernel source code, not to module
> source code to be added. I think . . .

No. It means you need to install the matching headers for your running
kernel to build the modules. If you use a precompiled Debian package,
running module-assistant prepare will install them.

The name of course depends on the driver. If you use an atheros based
card, it is madwifi-source. If you use a ralink based card, the name is
rt2x00-source (new driver), or rt2400-source/rt2500-source/rt2570-source
(older driver, but less experimental).

regards
        Andreas Janssen