Re: aptitude + dpkg

On Sun, Apr 29, 2007 at 12:26:38AM +0100, somethin2cool wrote:
> Given that aptitude is awesome and that all the stuff I want is missing
> from all the repositories, is there anyway for me to use .deb files and
> dpkg in conjunction with aptitude. I'm sure they have the dependencies
> listed inside them somewhere, and it would be brilliant. I'd settle for
> apt of course.

if someone make a deb packages that does not have any dependencies, then
you use dpkg to install it. Otherwise they would need to create their
own repository that contains all the things apt-get/aptitude expects.
You would add a 'deb' or 'deb-src' line and go from there. But many
software projects provide one of these options. So you should have no
problem.  But is the software that you need not in Debian because of no
one asking for its inclusion or becuase there is some reason that it
could never be included. If it can be included, see if the project would
like to add it. This would solve your issue.
-K
|_______  Unless I ask to be CCd, assume I am subscribed _______|