Re: wireless - is it possible?

On Sun, 2007-04-29 at 00:14 +0200, Andreas Janssen wrote:
> Default User (<xyzzyx@sbcglobal.net>) wrote:
> > On Sat, 2007-04-28 at 23:24 +0200, Andreas Janssen wrote:
> >> Default User (<xyzzyx@sbcglobal.net>) wrote:
> >>
> >> I think one of them uses a ralink chipset, which means that there is
> >> a driver available, however you need to compile and install it
> >> yourself (e.g. using module-assistant). The netgear wg511t pcmcia
> >> card also works, it uses an atheros chipset and runs with the madwifi
> >> driver. Packages are available in non-free, so you also need to build
> >> them using non-free. If you want to buy Netgear adapters, take a
> >> close look at the product name. An additional letter or number can
> >> mean that is uses a completely different chipset.
> >

> > FWIW, the MA111 says FCC ID: PY3MA111 on the side, and the WG111 says
> > PY3WG111V2 on the side. I do not know how to determine the chipset
> > inside either. I am not married to Netgear, I just happen to have
> > those
> > two adapters (purchased new).  I am not familiar with
> > moduel-assistant, or adding or subtracting kernel modules. Nor have I
> > ever "built" a package, or compiled a driver. I have never rebuilt a
> > kernel. I would much rather just buy a new adapter, if it would JUST
> > WORK, without any fuss. If I could only find one.
>
> Maybe lsusb knows. As for module-assistant, usually it is sufficcient to
>
> - replace "main" with "main contrib non-free" in your sources.list and
> run apt-get update
> - install module-assistant
> - run module-assistant prepare
> - run module-assistant auto-install $driver-source
> - load the driver manually or reboot
>
> regards
>         Andreas Janssen
>
> --
> Andreas Janssen <andreas.janssen@bigfoot.com>
> PGP-Key-ID: 0xDC801674 ICQ #17079270
> Registered Linux User #267976
> http://www.andreas-janssen.de/debian-tipps-sarge.html

The output of sudo lsusb is:

Bus 001 Device 003: ID 0846:4110 NetGear, Inc. MA111 WiFi (v1)
Bus 001 Device 004: ID 0846:4240 NetGear, Inc. WG111 WiFi (v2)
Bus 001 Device 002: ID 058f:9254 Alcor Micro Corp. Hub
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 0000:0000

There they are, but it doesn't seem to say what chipset they have. And
as for:

"module-assistant auto-install $driver-source",
what would "$driver-source" be, and where?

I did take to heart, from man module-assistant:
"NOTE: don’t even think about using some random kernel-source-x.y.z
package contents (or linux-x.y.z  tarball from the Internet) to specify
the kernel source for your currently running kernel. Don’t! Those source
is not exactly what have been used to build the running kernel and its
configuration most likely does not match yours."

I think that just refers to the kernel source code, not to module source
code to be added. I think . . .