Re: wireless - is it possible?

Default User (<xyzzyx@sbcglobal.net>) wrote:
> On Sat, 2007-04-28 at 23:24 +0200, Andreas Janssen wrote:
>> Default User (<xyzzyx@sbcglobal.net>) wrote:
>>
>> I think one of them uses a ralink chipset, which means that there is
>> a driver available, however you need to compile and install it
>> yourself (e.g. using module-assistant). The netgear wg511t pcmcia
>> card also works, it uses an atheros chipset and runs with the madwifi
>> driver. Packages are available in non-free, so you also need to build
>> them using non-free. If you want to buy Netgear adapters, take a
>> close look at the product name. An additional letter or number can
>> mean that is uses a completely different chipset.
>

> FWIW, the MA111 says FCC ID: PY3MA111 on the side, and the WG111 says
> PY3WG111V2 on the side. I do not know how to determine the chipset
> inside either. I am not married to Netgear, I just happen to have
> those
> two adapters (purchased new).  I am not familiar with
> moduel-assistant, or adding or subtracting kernel modules. Nor have I
> ever "built" a package, or compiled a driver. I have never rebuilt a
> kernel. I would much rather just buy a new adapter, if it would JUST
> WORK, without any fuss. If I could only find one.

Maybe lsusb knows. As for module-assistant, usually it is sufficcient to

- replace "main" with "main contrib non-free" in your sources.list and
run apt-get update
- install module-assistant
- run module-assistant prepare
- run module-assistant auto-install $driver-source
- load the driver manually or reboot

regards
        Andreas Janssen

PGP-Key-ID: 0xDC801674 ICQ #17079270