Re: Can't mount pen drive (SOLVED -- Sort of)

Greg Folkert wrote:
On Thu, 2007-04-26 at 21:36 -0700, Marc Shapiro wrote:
Does anyone have a clue why /dev/sda and /dev/sda1 are created and the drive will mount if plugged directly to the cable, but /dev/sda and /dev/sda1 are not created if the drive is plugged into the detected and configured hub (yes, I have tried all four ports on the hub)?

Is it a powered or passive USB hub?

Powered == gets electrical power from a power supply other than the USB
port.

Passive == get all power from the USB port only.

If passive, there might just not be enough power being supplied from the
USB port.

Also, many many many problems reported to the Kernel USB list are
resolved by using a new good quality cable. It is scary at how many
issues are indeed resolved this way.
Both of the drives that I tried are passive. The system detects that a new USB device is attached, it just does not configure the device. The following output from dmesg show the drive plugged directly into the cable as being detected (on address 29) and configured. Then I disconnect the device and plug in the hub which is also detected (address 30). I then plugged in the drive to the hub and you can see that it is detected (address 31) just like when it is plugged directly to the cable, but it does not configure the device and no device files are created. Unfortunately, I do not have any other types of USB devices to test and see if the hub causes problems for them as well (in which case I would just toss the hub).

usb 4-4: new high speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 29
usb-storage: device found at 29
usb-storage: waiting for device to settle before scanning
 Vendor: Memorex   Model: Flashdrive 303B   Rev: PMAP
 Type:   Direct-Access                      ANSI SCSI revision: 00
sda: Write Protect is off
sda: Mode Sense: 23 00 00 00
sda: assuming drive cache: write through
sda: Write Protect is off
sda: Mode Sense: 23 00 00 00
sda: assuming drive cache: write through
sda: sda1
sd 6:0:0:0: Attached scsi removable disk sda
sd 6:0:0:0: Attached scsi generic sg0 type 0
usb-storage: device scan complete
usb 4-4: USB disconnect, address 29
usb 4-4: new high speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 30
hub 4-4:1.0: USB hub found
hub 4-4:1.0: 4 ports detected
usb 4-4.1: new high speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 31
usb 4-4.1: no configuration chosen from 1 choice

--
Marc Shapiro
mshapiro_42@yahoo.com