Re: Can't mount pen drive (SOLVED -- Sort of)

On Thu, 2007-04-26 at 21:36 -0700, Marc Shapiro wrote:
> Does anyone have a clue why /dev/sda and /dev/sda1 are created and the
> drive will mount if plugged directly to the cable, but /dev/sda and
> /dev/sda1 are not created if the drive is plugged into the detected and
> configured hub (yes, I have tried all four ports on the hub)?

Is it a powered or passive USB hub?

Powered == gets electrical power from a power supply other than the USB
port.

Passive == get all power from the USB port only.

If passive, there might just not be enough power being supplied from the
USB port.

Also, many many many problems reported to the Kernel USB list are
resolved by using a new good quality cable. It is scary at how many
issues are indeed resolved this way.
--
greg, greg@gregfolkert.net

the playfield. -- Thane Walkup