Re: Can't mount pen drive (SOLVED -- Sort of)

Florian Kulzer wrote:
On Wed, Apr 25, 2007 at 20:46:38 -0700, Marc Shapiro wrote:
Florian Kulzer wrote:
On Wed, Apr 25, 2007 at 13:11:44 -0700, Marc Shapiro wrote:

[...]

On Wed, Apr 25, 2007 at 08:01:02 -0700, Marc Shapiro wrote:
I am having trouble getting a USB pen drive to mount. I am running an up-to-date Etch box.
[...]

The output from dmesg shows:
usb 4-4.4: new high speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 6
usb 4-4.4: no configuration chosen from 1 choice

[...]

When I ran lsusb -v I got a lot of output, most of which I either didn't understand, or didn't see any use for at the moment. However, at the end of each section was a line about not being able to get the device qualifier (see following output):

Bus 004 Device 010: ID 0781:5406 SanDisk Corp.
Device Descriptor:

[...]

     bInterfaceClass         8 Mass Storage
     bInterfaceSubClass      6 SCSI
     bInterfaceProtocol     80 Bulk (Zip)

It is recognized as a mass storage device. I think that means that there
is no problem with the usb-ids.

[...]

can't get device qualifier: Operation not permitted
can't get debug descriptor: Operation not permitted
cannot read device status, Operation not permitted (1)

Additionally, the hub that the pen drive was inserted into was also giving a similar message saying:

can't get hub descriptor: Operation not permitted

Did you run lsusb as root? For a normal user these messages are to be
expected as far as I know.

I disconnected the hub and plugged the pen drive directly into the cable from the USB port and now /dev/sda and /dev/sda1 are created on plugging in the drive and it mounts just fine.

I know that I used the hub with a USB pen connected to it when I was running Sarge. Also this pen drive is one of those that lights up when it is plugged in and it *does* light up when plugged into the hub. The hub is a Belkin Hi-Speed USB 2.0 Mini Hub (model FSU215-MOB). Does anyone have any ideas how I can get the pen drive to work when using the hub? If not, then at least my wife can get to the data, but it would be nice to know why the hub/pendrive combination is not working.

I cannot get anything relevant searching for "FSU215" (only one site
about basketball results, one site about catheters and one site in
Hungarian or something). You could try to google for the vendor id and
product numbers that are listed by lsusb.
Are there any clues from dmesg when you plug in the hub?

*** Here it finds the hub and chooses the only configuration found.  Good!

usb 4-4: new high speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 22
hub 4-4:1.0: USB hub found
hub 4-4:1.0: 4 ports detected

*** Here it finds the USB device (pendrive) but DOES NOT choose a configuration. Bad!

usb 4-4.1: new high speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 23
usb 4-4.1: no configuration chosen from 1 choice

*** Disconnect the pendrive and the hub.  OK.

usb 4-4.1: USB disconnect, address 23
usb 4-4: USB disconnect, address 22

*** Connect the pendrive directly to the cable without the hub
*** and it chooses the one configuration available and lets me mount the drive.

usb 4-4: new high speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 24
usb-storage: device found at 24
usb-storage: waiting for device to settle before scanning
 Vendor: Memorex   Model: Flashdrive 303B   Rev: PMAP
 Type:   Direct-Access                      ANSI SCSI revision: 00
sda: Write Protect is off
sda: Mode Sense: 23 00 00 00
sda: assuming drive cache: write through
sda: Write Protect is off
sda: Mode Sense: 23 00 00 00
sda: assuming drive cache: write through
sda: sda1
sd 4:0:0:0: Attached scsi removable disk sda
sd 4:0:0:0: Attached scsi generic sg0 type 0
usb-storage: device scan complete

~$ mount /media/pen
~$ cd /media/pen
/media/pen$ ls
total 390
-rwxrwxrwx 1 mns mns 82432 Nov 21 22:41 DLIL.doc
-rwxrwxrwx 1 mns mns 51790 Nov  3 08:51 Drug_Screen_Form.pdf
-rwxrwxrwx 1 mns mns 93696 Nov  3 08:50 Offer.doc
-rwxrwxrwx 1 mns mns 32768 Nov 21 23:36 dlilppt.ppt
-rwxrwxrwx 1 mns mns 92672 Nov 26 23:09 grandvocab.doc
-rwxrwxrwx 1 mns mns 45568 Nov 27 12:25 rd115vocabreview.doc
                    ------
Total:  (6 Files)    398926
/media/pen$ cd
~$ umount /media/pen

Does anyone have a clue why /dev/sda and /dev/sda1 are created and the drive will mount if plugged directly to the cable, but /dev/sda and /dev/sda1 are not created if the drive is plugged into the detected and configured hub (yes, I have tried all four ports on the hub)?

--
Marc Shapiro
mshapiro_42@yahoo.com