Re: Can't mount pen drive

On Wed, Apr 25, 2007 at 08:01:02 -0700, Marc Shapiro wrote:
> I am having trouble getting a USB pen drive to mount.  I am running an
> up-to-date Etch box.

[...]

> mns@xander:~$ mount /media/pen
> mount: special device /dev/sda1 does not exist
>
> I have, in fact, tried two separate pen drives with the same results.
>
> The output from dmesg shows:
> usb 4-4.4: new high speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 6
> usb 4-4.4: no configuration chosen from 1 choice

I see "configuration #1 chosen from 1 choice" in the second line when I
plug in my pen drive.

[...]

> It seems that the system is recognizing the drive as it is being plugged in
> and unplugged, but that udev is not creating the device file for it.  Am I
> missing a driver, or what?

It seems to me that things go wrong very early, already before udev is
involved. Unfortunately I do not know what or where this "configuration"
is supposed to be.

[ snip: modprobing usb_storage makes no difference ]

> The output of lsmod is:
> mns@xander:~$ lsmod
> Module                  Size  Used by
> usb_storage            70144  0
> scsi_mod              122700  1 usb_storage

[...]

> usblp                  12224  0

[...]

> ehci_hcd               26952  0
> ohci_hcd               17348  0
> usbcore               111136  5 usb_storage,usblp,ehci_hcd,ohci_hcd

[...]

> ide_core              111536  6 usb_storage,ide_generic,ide_cd,ide_disk,sis5513,generic

Here is what I get with my USB pen drive plugged in (device was created,
but it is not mounted yet):

$ lsmod | egrep 'usb|hcd'
usb_storage            89920  0
scsi_mod              161592  5 usb_storage,sg,sr_mod,sd_mod,libata
ide_core              149888  2 usb_storage,generic
usbhid                 30112  0
hid                    28800  1 usbhid
ehci_hcd               36876  0
uhci_hcd               29472  0

I don't think that "usbhid" makes a difference; that is just for my USB
mouse.

What do you get with "lsusb" when the pen drive is plugged in? Maybe you
need to "update-usbids" to have the device identified correctly.

          Florian   |