Re: apt-get install synaptic / sources.list

Joe Hart wrote:

somethin2cool wrote:
[snip]
Well things are going well now. I have ethernet internet (so i have to
sit by the router) and can install from DVD.

But lots of things are still a royal pain when it comes to installing.

It seems there are no perfect methods, but that apt works perfectly IF
you have all the repositories in there (although sucks at uninstalling).
Many many things I want are not in repositories for some reason, so I
have added the non-free repository which seems to have added to total of
0 packages.

I'd like to add Sarge repos because Amaya isn't in the Etch ones, the
.deb moans about dependencies and synaptic, despite knowing what they
all are, has no option to just get them all (ha!).

So can anyone tell me how to add a Sarge repo, and also the Etch one.
Yes they ought to be set up already but they aren't and the information
is not on any link in Google's first 5 pages. I have looked of debian
man, which tells me how to make one from scratch (which is awesome, but
not what i want this month), and it either doesn't say what the
repository addresses are or it is hidden really really well. Surely the
repository addresses should be published on the website, but no.

Apparently this is to obvious to bother writing anywhere.

If you try doing that, (mixing sarge into etch) you will likely break
your system.  You'd be better off just downloading the tarball and
installing that.

But one thing I need to tell you.  You should change your attitude if
you plan on getting more help.  Perhaps you'd be better off with a
different OS that does things more the way you prefer them instead of
berating Debian for the way it does things.

As for uninstalling, it is quite simple.  In synaptic is it "Mark for
Removal" or "Mark for Complete Removal"  from the command line:

apt-get remove foo

or

apt-get remove --purge foo.

There are others, such as aptitude and wajig that also work.

Joe

- --

What do you mean my attitude is fine. You must be reading it looking for a bad attitude (or too used to people with one, or have one yourself). Just cos I think something is rubbish doesn't mean I have a bad attitude. When uninstalling an ap, dependencies which are no longer required should also be uninstalled. And when the program can list all dependencies, and it can get all dependencies as a separate process, it should be able to get all missing dependencies to fix an application. If you disagree with that, then you are not part of the solution. Argue all you like, that's not what the list is for.