Re: apt-get install synaptic / sources.list

somethin2cool wrote:
> When uninstalling an ap, dependencies which are no longer
> required should also be uninstalled.

Aptitude (a front-end to apt which, I believe, is installed
by default, and which has both a true commandline interface
(with switches more or less identical to APT's) and a
terminal-based user interface (if invoked with no
arguments)) does this by default. And if later you *want* to
keep some of the unused dependencies it's about to
uninstall, you can tell it to do that, as well.

> Just cos I think something is rubbish doesn't mean I have
> a bad attitude.

This is true, but a bad attitude does come out in the
presentation of that thought. Comments like "Apparently this
is too obvious to bother writing anywhere" when complaining
about a lack of documentation aren't productive--if taken at
face value, this particular example is just
self-deprecating. If the sarcasm that (I think) is
underlying it is also taken into consideration, it takes on
a dimension of rudeness thinly masked by self-deprecation.
Either way, just asking for help rather than sniping at
yourself and/or the documentation folks is more helpful and
probably takes less time to write, as well.

Amy