Re: cups and samba stop working after upgrade to etch

On Tue, Apr 24, 2007 at 16:22:43 -0400, Bill Shofner wrote:
> On 04/24/2007 12:43:57 PM, Florian Kulzer wrote:
>> I think you can now also restore the rest of your system (your libc6
>> version was OK, by the way.) I would do it like this:
>>
>> 1) Comment out all unofficial repositories (including
>> debian-multimedia)
>>    in your /etc/apt/sources.list.
>>
>> 2) Run "aptitude update" and then
>>
>>    aptitude search '~i!~Odebian'
>>
>>    to get a list of all unofficial/obsolete packages. Save this list
>> of
>>    packages. Verify that nothing important is on the list and run
>>
>>    aptitude remove '~i!~Odebian'
>>
>>    (Ask here if you are unsure about what is important.)
>
> I have done the above search and saved the list to a file. I do not think
> there is anything important that could not be re-installed on the list, but
> I would appreciate it if you would let me know if you agree.
>
> L550r:/etc/apt# aptitude search '~i!~Odebian'

[...]

I did not see anything critical in that list but it seems that you had
some stuff installed from debian-multimedia which is meanwhile available
in normal Debian. That was probably what screwed up the dist-upgrade to
Etch. (I think that this mentioned explicitly in the release notes,
BTW.)

As I said in my other mail: Keep this list around and, once you have
cleaned up your system, you can try to install all these packages (minus
the "lib..." ones) from the normal Debian repositories. After that is
all in place you can activate debian-multimedia again in your
sources.list and install those packages which are still not officially
part of Debian.

[...]

> My sources.list points to 'stable'.

It is advisable to change that to "etch". If you keep "stable" then you
might get some unpleasant surprises once Lenny is released.

          Florian   |