Re: Newbie Samba help

On Wednesday, 25.04.2007 at 14:58 -0400, Jan Sneep wrote:

> I just installed the latest OS using a NetInst CD and during the install I
> checked the boxes for "File Server" and "Print Server" and I have been to
> HYPERLINK "http://localhost:901"Http://localhost:901 to verify that Samba is
> up and running.
>
> I can "see" the Debian server from my Win XP machines, and also from the
> Debian side I can access files in the "Shared Documents" folder on the Win
> Xp machine open them and copy them back to the Debian desktop. So Samba must
> be up an running properly.However, I can't access the Debian folders from
> the Win Xp machine.
>
> I have setup a User on the Debian side called "Jan" and logged in using that
> password on the Debian machine no problem. I have renamed my Win Xp user
> account to "Jan" and used the exact same password. When I try to access the
> Debian server (through Network Places) I am prompted for a User and Pswd, to
> which I provide the same Jan and the Pswd and it fails to connect. I have
> tried it both logged out and logged in on the Debian server using User Jan.

Note that Samba typically requires you to create a dedicated Samba user
on the server, not a 'normal' user account.  It's unclear what you did
when you said "I have setup a User on the Debian side..."

If you can't figure it out, post your /etc/samba/smb.conf and we may be
able to help.

Dave.
--
Please don't CC me on list messages!