Re: cups and samba stop working after upgrade to etch

On 04/23/2007 05:58:06 PM, Florian Kulzer wrote:
On Mon, Apr 23, 2007 at 17:00:03 -0400, Bill Shofner wrote:

> > After upgrading my sarge box to etch, I cannot print and samba no
> > longer works. When I re-boot I get the following message from
root:

> > The Samba 'panic action' script, /usr/share/samba/panic-action,
was
> > called for PID 2540 (/usr/sbin/smbd).

[...]

> L550r:/home/bill# aptitude install -f
> Reading package lists... Done
> Building dependency tree... Done
> Reading extended state information
> Initializing package states... Done
> Writing extended state information... Done
> Reading task descriptions... Done
> Building tag database... Done
> The following packages are BROKEN:
>   alsaplayer alsaplayer-common balsa dirmngr foomatic-db-hpijs
>   foomatic-filters-ppds g-wrap gksu gnome-bin gnucash gnupg2 gpgsm
>   gstreamer0.10-plugins-base gstreamer0.10-plugins-good
>   gstreamer0.10-plugins-ugly guile-1.6-dev guile-1.6-slib
guile-library
>   hpijs-ppds kdemultimedia-kfile-plugins kfax kommander libakode2
>   libasound2-plugins libavcodec0d libavcodeccvs51 libegroupwise6
libft-perl
>   libglade-gnome0 libglade0 libgnomeprint-bin libgnomeprint15
libgnomeui32
>   libgnorba27 libmime-perl libofx1 libopensc1 libpt-plugins-avc
>   libpt-plugins-dc libxine1 mplayer xscreensaver-gl

[ snip: lots of library dependency problems ]

> Score is -1616
>
> Accept this solution? [Y/n/q/?] y
> The following packages will be REMOVED:
>   alien alsaplayer-esd cupsomatic-ppd debhelper
debian-reference-common
>   debian-reference-en dfontmgr flashplayer-mozilla gcc-3.3-doc
gcc-3.4-doc
>   gconf gnome-audio hwdata intltool-debian libbonobo2
libdirectfb-0.9-20
>   libdivxdecore0 libefs1 libgal2.2-1 libgal2.2-common libgal23
libgconf11
>   libgdk-pixbuf-gnome2 libghttp1 libglade-perl libgnome-vfs-common
>   libgnome-vfs0 libgnome2-doc libguppi16 libgwrapguile1 libimlib2
>   libkpathsea3 liboaf0 libofx0c102 libopenct0 libsqlite0
>   libswt-mozilla3-java libswt-mozilla3-jni libsysfs1 libt1-5 libwww0
oaf
>   po-debconf realplayer samba-doc ttf-freefont w32codecs webmin
>   webmin-inetd
> 0 packages upgraded, 0 newly installed, 49 to remove and 0 not
upgraded.
> Need to get 0B of archives. After unpacking 116MB will be freed.
> Do you want to continue? [Y/n/?] y

Keep a copy of this list. You should try to reinstall these packages
once your system is fixed. (Only the ones that are not "lib..."; the
libraries should be installed automatically). I have the feeling that
the dependency problems were caused by debian-multimedia stuff. Please
post your full /etc/apt/sources.list.

[ snip: the packages are removed ]

> L550r:/home/bill# aptitude search '~b'
> L550r:/home/bill#
>
> The above 2 lines seem to indicate that the broken packages have
been fixed
> or removed,

Just to be clear: Something like that should never happen for an
upgrade to the
next stable Debian release. We have to figure out where it went wrong.
Unfortunately I cannot tell if the underlying problem is also
responsible for
your samba troubles.

>             so I did:
>
> L550r:/home/bill# aptitude purge samba

[ snip: seems to go well ]

> L550r:/home/bill# aptitude install samba

[...]

> Setting up samba (3.0.24-6) ...
> Generating /etc/default/samba...
> Starting Samba daemons: nmbd smbd.
>
> Since the smbldap-tools package was recommended I decided to install
it.

> L550r:/home/bill# aptitude install smbldap-tools

[...]

>   libconvert-asn1-perl libcrypt-smbhash-perl libdigest-md4-perl
>   libdigest-sha1-perl libio-socket-ssl-perl libjcode-pm-perl
>   libnet-ldap-perl libunicode-map-perl libunicode-map8-perl
>   libunicode-maputf8-perl libunicode-string-perl smbldap-tools
> 0 packages upgraded, 12 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not
upgraded.

[ snip: all seems to go well ]

> Since there was no error message when samba was re-installed and
> re-started, I hoped samba was OK, but that is not the case - got
this mail
> message again:

[...]

> The Samba 'panic action' script, /usr/share/samba/panic-action,
> was called for PID 8977 (/usr/sbin/smbd).
>
> This means there was a problem with the program, such as a segfault.
> Below is a backtrace for this process generated with gdb, which
shows
> the state of the program at the time the error occurred.  The Samba
log
> files may contain additional information about the problem.
>
> If the problem persists, you are encouraged to first install the
> samba-dbg package, which contains the debugging symbols for the
Samba
> binaries.  Then submit the provided information as a bug report to
> Debian.  For information about the procedure for submitting bug
reports,
> please see http://www.debian.org/Bugs/Reporting or the reportbug(1)
> manual page.
>
> (no debugging symbols found)
> Using host libthread_db library "/lib/tls/i686/cmov/libthread_db.so.1".
> (no debugging symbols found)
> (no debugging symbols found)
> (no debugging symbols found)
> (no debugging symbols found)
> (no debugging symbols found)
> (no debugging symbols found)
> (no debugging symbols found)
> (no debugging symbols found)
> [New Thread -1212938560 (LWP 8977)]
> 0xb7f6d410 in ?? ()
> #0  0xb7f6d410 in ?? ()
> #1  0x00000001 in ?? ()
> #2  0x00000000 in ?? ()

What is the output of "apt-cache policy libc6"? (I don't remember if
we
checked this one already.)

L550r:/home/bill# apt-cache policy libc6
libc6:
  Installed: 2.3.6.ds1-13
  Candidate: 2.3.6.ds1-13
  Version table:
 *** 2.3.6.ds1-13 0
        500 http://ftp.debian.org stable/main Packages
        100 /var/lib/dpkg/status

Also, I am starting to wonder if this could be related to bug #389494.

One more thing to try is to get rid of samba completely:

aptitude --purge-unused purge samba samba-common smbclient
webmin-samba smbldap-tools

L550r:/home/bill# aptitude --purge-unused purge samba samba-common smbclient webmin-samba smbldap-tools
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree... Done
Reading extended state information
Initializing package states... Done
Writing extended state information... Done
Reading task descriptions... Done
Building tag database... Done
The following packages are unused and will be REMOVED:
libconvert-asn1-perl{p} libcrypt-smbhash-perl{p} libdigest-md4-perl{p} libdigest-sha1-perl{p} libjcode-pm-perl{p} libnet-ldap-perl{p} libunicode-map-perl{p} libunicode-map8-perl{p}
  libunicode-maputf8-perl{p} libunicode-string-perl{p}
The following packages will be REMOVED:
samba{p} samba-common{p} smbclient{p} smbldap-tools{p} webmin-samba{p}
0 packages upgraded, 0 newly installed, 15 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
Need to get 0B of archives. After unpacking 28.2MB will be freed.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n/?]
Writing extended state information... Done
(Reading database ... 123182 files and directories currently installed.)
Removing smbldap-tools ...
Removing libnet-ldap-perl ...
Removing libconvert-asn1-perl ...
Removing libcrypt-smbhash-perl ...
Removing libdigest-md4-perl ...
Removing libdigest-sha1-perl ...
Removing libunicode-maputf8-perl ...
Removing libjcode-pm-perl ...
Removing libunicode-map-perl ...
Removing libunicode-map8-perl ...
Removing libunicode-string-perl ...
Removing samba ...
Stopping Samba daemons: nmbd smbdstart-stop-daemon: warning: failed to kill 2556: No such process
.
Purging configuration files for samba ...
Removing configuration file /etc/default/samba...
Removing configuration file /etc/default/samba...
Removing smbclient ...
Removing samba-common ...
Purging configuration files for samba-common ...
dpkg - warning: while removing samba-common, directory `/var/log/samba' not empty so not removed.
Removing webmin-samba ...
Purging configuration files for webmin-samba ...

and then to reinstall only these packages:

aptitude install samba samba-common smbclient

Re-installing samba ...

L550r:/etc# aptitude install samba samba-common smbclient
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree... Done
Reading extended state information
Initializing package states... Done
Writing extended state information... Done
Reading task descriptions... Done
Building tag database... Done
  samba samba-common smbclient
The following packages are RECOMMENDED but will NOT be installed:
  smbldap-tools
0 packages upgraded, 3 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
Need to get 0B/9514kB of archives. After unpacking 23.4MB will be used.
Writing extended state information... Done
Preconfiguring packages ...
Selecting previously deselected package samba-common.
(Reading database ... 122517 files and directories currently installed.)
Unpacking samba-common (from .../samba-common_3.0.24-6_i386.deb) ...
Selecting previously deselected package samba.
Unpacking samba (from .../samba_3.0.24-6_i386.deb) ...
Selecting previously deselected package smbclient.
Unpacking smbclient (from .../smbclient_3.0.24-6_i386.deb) ...
Setting up samba-common (3.0.24-6) ...

Setting up samba (3.0.24-6) ...
Generating /etc/default/samba...
tdbsam_open: Converting version 0 database to version 3.
account_policy_get: tdb_fetch_uint32 failed for field 1 (min password length), returning 0 account_policy_get: tdb_fetch_uint32 failed for field 2 (password history), returning 0 account_policy_get: tdb_fetch_uint32 failed for field 3 (user must logon to change password), returning 0 account_policy_get: tdb_fetch_uint32 failed for field 4 (maximum password age), returning 0 account_policy_get: tdb_fetch_uint32 failed for field 5 (minimum password age), returning 0 account_policy_get: tdb_fetch_uint32 failed for field 6 (lockout duration), returning 0 account_policy_get: tdb_fetch_uint32 failed for field 7 (reset count minutes), returning 0 account_policy_get: tdb_fetch_uint32 failed for field 8 (bad lockout attempt), returning 0 account_policy_get: tdb_fetch_uint32 failed for field 9 (disconnect time), returning 0 account_policy_get: tdb_fetch_uint32 failed for field 10 (refuse machine password change), returning 0
Importing accout for root...ok
Importing accout for daemon...ok
Importing accout for bin...ok
Importing accout for sys...ok
Importing accout for sync...ok
Importing accout for games...ok
Importing accout for man...ok
Importing accout for lp...ok
Importing accout for mail...ok
Importing accout for news...ok
Importing accout for uucp...ok
Importing accout for proxy...ok
Importing accout for www-data...ok
Importing accout for backup...ok
Importing accout for list...ok
Importing accout for irc...ok
Importing accout for gnats...ok
Importing accout for nobody...ok
Importing accout for Debian-exim...ok
Importing accout for bill...ok
Importing accout for identd...ok
Importing accout for sshd...ok
Importing accout for gdm...ok
Importing accout for saned...ok
Importing accout for messagebus...ok
Importing accout for steven...ok
Importing accout for haldaemon...ok
Importing accout for statd...ok
Importing accout for avahi...ok
Starting Samba daemons: nmbd smbd.

Setting up smbclient (3.0.24-6) ...

No error message e-mail this time. Let me see what I can see from the wife's Windows computer....

When trying to add a printer on my wife's Windows XP machine I am asked for a user name and password to connect to this computer. I supply the username and password but am unable to connect to the printer. Is samba finally running?

          Florian   |

Bill