Re: Dates and times in Icedove

Florian Kulzer wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 25, 2007 at 19:08:35 +0200, Joe Hart wrote:
>>
>> John Hasler wrote:
>>> man locale
>> locale doesn't seem to have an effect for Icedove.  My system date today
>> is 25/04/2007, but Icedove shows it as 4/25/2007, which tells me that
>> because I use a US English version of IceDove, it uses it's own settings.
>
> [...]
>
> Does it make a difference if you start icedove by clicking on an icon or
> from a terminal? If you define your LANG and LC_* in bashrc then these
> settings are not necessarily used for things that don't involve bash.
>
> I use LANG=en_US.UTF-8 and LC_TIME=en_GB.UTF-8 and icedove displays the
> dates nicely in British style ("24/04/07 19:37").
>
> You can also switch every time you call icedove, e.g.
>
> $ LC_TIME=en_US.UTF-8 icedove
>
> results in "04/24/2007 07:37 PM"
>
> or
>
> $ LC_TIME=de_DE.UTF-8 icedove
>
> results in "24.04.2007 19:37"
>
> etc.

Thanks for that tip.  I think that may indeed help both Ken and I,
although like I said, it doesn't bug me that much.  What I find not so
pleasant about IceDove is that for some reason it likes to reset my view
to unsorted rather than my preference of sort by thread.

It is very inconsistent, sometimes it goes for days doing it correctly,
then all the sudden will revert back to unsorted.  It also sometimes has
a problem with telling me how many messages are in a specific local
folder (after I use its filters to place things into them).  Strange
behavior that perhaps I should file a bug report about, but haven't
bothered becasuse I use 1.5.10 and I know 2.0 is already available.

I think that's enough of a rant.  Again, I appreciate you informing me
of the LC_TIME variable.

Joe

- --