Re: UUID vs /dev

On Tue, Apr 24, 2007 at 04:03:13PM +0200, Andrea S. Gozzi wrote:
> I noticed that ubuntu 7.04 switched to the UUID method for
> drives/partitions identification in fstab.
> I heard rumors that debian will soon do the same (or already does).
>
> Even with google I couldn't find any *impartial* comparison of the two
> methods for identifying hardware.
> Since it seems to be what most distributions will do from now on, I
> wanted to discuss its benefits and/or flaws.
>
> Personally I don't see any point in using UUID=xxxxxxx instead
> of /dev/xxx (also beacuse to get the ID you need 'vol_id -u /dev/xxx'),
> but there are surely pros I'm not aware of...
>

> Andrea

I think UUID is used because it is better to use UUID to recognize the
drives than /dev. For example, if you're trying to have your USB drive
automount to /mnt/usb, you'd use something like "/dev/sdb1" in fstab,
correct? What if you plug in an external drive? That will be picked up
at /dev/sdb, and following that the USB thumbdrive will be picked up as
/dev/sdc. The reason for UUIDs is to make it so that the computer can
recognize the drives by their device ID rather than the order they were
plugged in.

I may be wrong though. This is what I've been told.

--
http://digital-haze.net/~pobega/ - My Website
If programmers deserve to be rewarded for creating innovative