Re: UUID vs /dev

Wackojacko wrote:
Joe Hart wrote:

John L Fjellstad wrote:
Joe Hart <j.hart@orange.nl> writes:

Now that is a good reason.  AFAIK, as of the newer kernels (forget
which release) all drives are now sdX, so this issue becomes moot.  I
can see why UUID is a good idea, but a LABEL is much easier to read.
Well, my Kubuntu system runs 2.6.20 and havs everything as sdX (when it
was hdX before), and my Debian system runs 2.6.18 and still has hdX,
some somewhere in-between.

Problem with labels is if the label is not set at format time, what
should the system set the label as?  Some random string?  Label is not a
required setting when you format the partition.

Yes, I believe it is the 2.6.20 that changed it.

Now, I run a self compiled kernel and still have a HDD showing up as hdc. However, I did notice that there were new experimental ATA/SATA drivers in the kernel, which I also compiled in, but maybe the kernel is still using the old drivers? Time for and experiment I think :).

Wackojacko

Having removed all the ide related stuff from my config and recompiling, the pata_amd module now controls the ide controller (it was blocked by the ide stuff previously according to dmesg). And yes my backup HDD is now sdb not hdc. So it is the transition to the new ATA drivers that cause the name changed as suspected.

However, my DVD drives are no longer assigned a device node. They are picked up in dmesg as SCSI drives

scsi4 : pata_amd
scsi5 : pata_amd
scsi 4:0:0:0: CD-ROM            HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GSA-4163B A105 PQ: 0 ANSI: 5
scsi 4:0:1:0: CD-ROM            MATSHITA DVD-ROM SR-8585F 2A25 PQ: 0 ANSI: 5
scsi 5:0:0:0: Direct-Access     ATA      Maxtor 6E040L0   NAR6 PQ: 0 ANSI: 5
sd 5:0:0:0: Attached scsi disk sdb
sd 2:0:0:0: Attached scsi generic sg0 type 0
scsi 4:0:0:0: Attached scsi generic sg1 type 5
scsi 4:0:1:0: Attached scsi generic sg2 type 5
sd 5:0:0:0: Attached scsi generic sg3 type 0

and assigned sg1 and sg2 but these are not mountable. Ideas anyone? Udev perhaps?

Thanks

Wackojacko