apt-get install kde
startx

Clive Menzies wrote:
On (16/01/07 11:49), erkko.lahnajarvi@pp.nic.fi wrote:

I installed debian 3.1r4 debian on my PC, which has 1Ghz amd duron
processor. Then I executed commands:

aptitude install xfree86-common
and it seemed to be installed

aptitude install xserver-xfree86
and it seemed to be installed too

after these two commands I wrote start X in command prompt in all
possible forms(startx, start X, startX, start x),but

...tadaa, it didn't start any graphical interfece

First you could try as root or sudo:

# dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xfree86

It will ask various questions about your hardware configuration; you
need to have to hand info about monitor spec etc.

If startx doesn't work after that, look in /var/log/XFree86 (I run xorg
and can't remember exactly the the name/location.  Look for lines
starting {EE} .... that is where X is having a problem - it could be
mouse screen etc.  Google around for X on your hardware for clues and
then repeat dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xfree86

Once you've done that you may get an X environment but without a window
manager.  Depending on your preference:

# aptitude install [kde|gnome|xfce|fluxbox|etc]

If you are fairly new to all this I'd go for gnome or KDE, later you may
want to try someting faster/lighter.

Regards

Clive